If you were to get divorced or your civil partnership is dissolved during your time as an active member of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS), your ex-spouse / civil partner will cease to be entitled to a survivor's benefit, should you die before them. Any children’s pension paid to an eligible child in the event of your death will NOT be affected by your divorce or dissolution.

Please note that if you have nominated your ex-spouse / civil partner to receive any lump sum death grant payable on your death, your expression of wish will remain unless you choose to update it.

What is the process to be followed?

You will need specific information about your LGPS benefits as part of the proceedings for a divorce, judicial separation or nullity of marriage, or for dissolution, separation or nullity of a civil partnership. You will need to contact the Dyfed Pension Fund to request a Cash Equivalent Transfer Value (CETV) of your pension rights, which is guaranteed for a period of 3 months. The Court will then take this value into account in your settlement.

Please Note

A member is entitled to receive one free CETV estimate per 12 months. Any other costs for supplying information or complying with a Court Order will be recovered from you and / or your ex-spouse / civil partner in accordance with a Schedule of Charges provided by the Dyfed Pension Fund.