The 2015 Scheme came into force on 1 April 2015, but not all active members of the 1987 Scheme will have transferred over to the 2015 Scheme, as protection is afforded to two groups:
- Transitional Protected member
- Tapered Protected member
A Transitional Protected member was an active member of the 1987 scheme with 10 years or less to age 55, or 10 years or less to age 48, and was 10 years or less from a maximum unreduced pension as at 1 April 2012. Such members have been afforded full protection and therefore will not have been moved into the 2015 scheme.
A Tapered Protected member was an active member of the 1987 Scheme, aged:
- between 41 and 45 years as at 1 April 2012; or
- between 34 to 38 years as at 1 April 2012, with 10 years or less from being able to retire on a maximum, unreduced pension; or
- 38 or over (up to age 45) and were between 14 and 10 years from being able to retire on a maximum, unreduced pension as at 1 April 2012; or
- less than 38 who are more than 10 years from being able to retire on a maximum, unreduced pension as at 1 April 2012.
Tapered Protected members will move into the 2015 scheme on a tapered basis. Please click here if you are such a member and you wish to find your tapered date.
All members that are not protected will have transferred into the 2015 scheme from 1 April 2015.